Take a tour of the town of Jargeau and you’ll soon be following in the footsteps of Joan of Arc.
She’s almost everywhere!
“Jargeau had been occupied by the English since 2 October 1428. It was defended by the Earl of Suffolk. On 11 June, the royal army stormed the town. During the assault, Jeanne received a large stone on the head. The town was liberated on 12 June. “
The Porte Madeleine has existed since the 17th century. When Joan of Arc stormed the town, it was a rampart, not a gateway. It is said that she put down her ladder and climbed up the steps. At the moment of the assault, she was hit in the head by a large stone. She fell but quickly returned to the assault.
This statue was created by Alfred Lanson in 1898. He depicted her with her hand at her temple, a reminder of her wound.
This beautiful ceramic was made by Jeanne Champillou in 1962, based on old prints. It depicts Joan of Arc in front of the town of Jargeau in the 15th century.
O.D.V. Guillonet was born in Paris in 1872. He spent his entire childhood in Jargeau. His parents lived on Boulevard Porte Madeleine. In July 1952, he presented the town of Jargeau with this large fresco glorifying Joan of Arc. The fourteen paintings of the Way of the Cross are also by O.D.V. Guillonnet.
This stained glass window from the workshop of Lucien-Léopold Lobin, a master stained glass artist from Tours, dates from 1875. Joan of Arc is shown standing, holding her sword in her left hand.